Over a million doses administered by trusted veterinarians since 2006
Polyglycan is administered intra-articularly and intravenously in my practice. I administer Polyglycan intra-articularly during and after joint surgery, and the horses are administered Polyglycan weekly for, at least, 4 weeks after surgery
"Polyglycan (hyaluron, sodium chondroitin, N-acetyl-D-glucosamine) is administered in my practice. I administer Polyglycan during and after joint surgery (arthroscopy or arthrotomy), and the horses are administered Polyglycan weekly for, at least, 4 weeks after surgery, if financially feasible. A large part of my practice is arthroscopic removal of OCD lesions and chip fractures in Thoroughbred yearlings. The vast majority of these joints do not have radiographic or clinical signs of osteoarthritis prior to surgery. I routinely perform post-operative films within 30 days after surgery, and a large number of these horses have radiographs taken for use at auction several months after surgery. I have not observed osteophyte formation after administering Polyglycan in these cases for the past 9 years.
In my opinion, there is decreased joint morbidity in the cases where Polyglycan is administered after surgery versus the cases that do not receive Polyglycan. I also observe decreased joint morbidity and quicker resolution of effusion in the race horses and yearlings that have clinical and radiographic evidence of osteoarthritis prior to surgery."
C.R. Johnson, DVM, MS, DACVS
Equine Surgical Services, Versailles, KY
Polyglycan® is a patented formulation designed to replace lost or damaged synovial fluid. It contains naturally-occurring components of the synovia that play a central role in maintaining the homeostatic environment of the joint.
- Glycosaminoglycans are important components of all extracellular tissue structures including cartilage and synovial fluid.
- The active components in Polyglycan® show viscoelastic and polyionic properties similar in nature to synovial fluid.
- Patented 3-component formula has demonstrated characteristics beyond any of these components used individually.
- Help replenish lost synovial fluid with naturally occurring elements
- Assist in normalization of synovial fluid viscosity
- May be used for post-surgical lavage of the joint cavity and surfaces